About Us / School Life

The History of Uplands Elementary School

Uplands Elementary School was opened in 1974 on 5 acres of land in the Brookswood area. The school included eight classrooms, a kitchen, gymnasium, administration office and library.

The first principal of Uplands School was regional Principal Ron Price. Harry Mctaggart was the first resident principal.

One year after the school opened, the structure was increased by six more classrooms, washrooms, change areas and a covered play area.

In 1980, as the school became inadequate for its population, four more classrooms were added, bringing the school up to its present size of eighteen classrooms.

Over the years Uplands has housed:
The Provincial Resource Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. A program for elementary students with severe to profound hearing loss. 1977-2008

The district Oral Program
An oral program for elementary students with hearing loss.

Uplands Elementary currently houses the Langley School District’s Montessori Program which started at Uplands Elementary in Sept. 2003 as well as the neighbourhood school which was a K-7 public program from 1974 to 2008, when it was reconfigured to a K-5 school. All of our neighbourhood students transition to H.D. Stafford Middle School after the completion of grade five.

In June 2014 it was announced that the Montessori Program would expand to include grade 6 on a yearly basis. The first grade six Montessori classroom was opened September 2014 as the community celebrated the tenth anniversary of the program. In October 2015 it was announced that the Montessori program permanently include grade 6, completing the Elementary ll learning cycle.


What is Montessori? Visit the Uplands Montessori Wiki to learn more!

Uplands Elementary & Montessori

4471 - 207 A Street, Langley
BC, V3A 5V8
Phone: 604-533-1285
Fax: 604-532-9748
Attendance: 604-533-1285